Go to Top

Claiming Compensation for a Car Accident

If you have suffered injuries as a result of a road traffic accident which wasn’t your fault then it is highly likely you will be able to put in a claim for compensation.

You don’t necessarily need to be the driver of the vehicle, you may be the passenger, a pedestrian or even a cyclist, just so long as the injuries sustained were through someone else’s negligence and you have the evidence to back up your case then you have every right to put in a claim.

Personal injury claims are handled by us on a ‘no win no fee’ basis which eliminates the worry of any added financial burden should your case be unsuccessful as the defendant’s costs will be covered by your insurance and, due to the no win no fee agreement, we will not charge any fees for an unsuccessful claim.

However, the majority of valid personal injury cases are won successfully and in cases such as these the defendant becomes responsible for paying all legal costs as well as the compensation owed.

What evidence will be required to build your personal injury case?

You will need to provide as many of the following as possible :

  • Photographs of the accident scene, the vehicle/vehicles involved and the injuries sustained. Naturally, the last thing on your mind immediately following a road traffic accident is to get out your camera and start flashing away but it may be possible to obtain photographs of the accident from the police report and the hospital will have photographs and x-rays of the injuries you suffered
  • If there were any witnesses, which undoubtedly there would be, then it would also be useful to the case if they could provide witness statements of the accident stating how and why the accident happened
  • The doctor or surgeon treating your injuries will write up a medical report which will also be needed to substantiate your claim. There is a charge for medical reports but on taking on your case, we will pay this, and this cost will be reimbursed by the defendant if your claim is successful
  • We will also need to know what levels of pain you are experiencing as a result of the injuries, whether any other symptoms have arisen such as insomnia, loss of appetite, restricted mobility or depression and whether the injuries prevent you from carrying out or partaking in any activities which give you pleasure. This is known as a loss of amenity.
  • If you were the driver/owner of the vehicle you will also need to obtain a damage report on the vehicle and an estimate on how much it is likely to cost to get the damage repaired
  • It is imperative that you give us an accurate calculation of any loss of earnings you have experienced as a result of the accident. This may be loss of earnings because you are too unwell to work or loss of earnings because your vehicle was your only means of transportation and, because it’s too badly damaged to drive, you are subsequently unable to get to work
  • We will also need to take into account all other expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident and these may include:
  1. Travelling expenses such as fuel costs or taxi fares too and from the hospital or doctor’s surgery
  2. Prescription and other treatment costs
  3. Medical report costs
  4. Childcare costs if you have been unable to look after your children because of the injuries sustained and required the assistance of a childminder
  5. Car hire fees if you needed transport whilst your vehicle was being repaired
  6. Any other costs or charges which have arisen as a result of the accident

Once all the evidence has been collected and your injuries have either settled down or an expert is able to give a reasonable prognosis for the future, we can then come up with a suitable compensation figure which reflects the pain and suffering, trauma and inconvenience you have suffered.

The claim is then filed with the court and if a settlement cannot be negotiated, once the case has been reviewed, a date for the hearing will be put in place.

Call us for free: 0800 015 5500